Personal Injury FAQs

Although every case is unique, there are basic personal injury questions you are probably asking yourself during this frustrating time. If you would like to set up a no-cost consultation, please contact Etengoff Pak Law Group – Vancouver Personal Injury Attorney.

Generally, all drivers must yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and on sidewalks. Whether in a marked or unmarked crosswalk, drivers must stop their vehicle whenever a pedestrian is crossing through their half of the roadway. Yet, do pedestrians always have the right of way in Washington? Let’s find out below.

What Are Marked and Unmarked Crosswalks?

Whether marked or unmarked, crosswalks allow pedestrians a safe path across the street.

Marked crosswalks contain painted lines that stretch from curb to curb. These lines denote the safe area in which pedestrians can walk across the roadway. In addition, these lines are also designed to alert motorists of potential pedestrian crossing locations that are not controlled by a traffic signal.

Unmarked crosswalks, usually located at intersections, are not clearly defined with paint and typically span between corner to corner.

If a pedestrian is crossing in a marked or unmarked crosswalk, then they have the right of way, and motorists must yield to them.

When Pedestrians Do Not Have the Right of Way

Walking across the street outside of a crosswalk, otherwise known as jaywalking, is against the law in Washington. When jaywalking, pedestrians do not have the right of way and must yield to motorists. If a pedestrian does not yield to a motorist and attempts to cross the street outside of a crosswalk, then he or she may receive a citation or fine.

Understanding Pedestrian Crossing Signals

In the state of Washington, you will find many intersections with established pedestrian signals that regulate when it is safe to cross the street. According to the law, all road users — including pedestrians and motorists — must adhere to these traffic signals.

Here are the pedestrian signals that you will find in Washington, as stated by the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD):

  • Walking personthe signal of a person walking denotes when it is safe to walk across the street.
  • Upraised hand: the signal of an upraised hand alerts pedestrians that is not safe to walk across the street. When the hand signal is flashing, only pedestrians already in the crosswalk may continue to the other side. All other pedestrians may not enter the crosswalk. A steady upraised hand means that no pedestrian may enter the crosswalk.
  • Countdown timer: countdown timers are required for pedestrian change intervals that last longer than seven seconds. If a timer has already begun counting down, then you must make sure that you will have enough time to cross before entering the crosswalk.

Tips to Prevent Pedestrian-Related Accidents

While drivers do not plan on hitting pedestrians, and while pedestrians have no intention of getting hit by a car, accidents still happen. In order to help prevent the growing number of pedestrian-related accidents, AAA offers a few guidelines to exercise when on the roadway.

Tips for Pedestrians:

  • Do not walk on the road while under the influence.
  • Look both ways and keep attentive when crossing the road.
  • Obey all traffic signals and only cross the street when it is safe to do so.
  • Stay visible to motorists, especially at night.

Tips for Drivers:

  • Stay alert whenever you drive — distracted driving is a major cause of accidents on the roadway.
  • Never drive under the influence.
  • Slow down and obey all posted speed limits, especially in areas of high pedestrian foot traffic.

Where You Involved in a Pedestrian-Related Accident?

Do pedestrians always have the right of way in Washington? It depends on the situation. Drivers must always yield to pedestrians in crosswalks and on sidewalks. However, pedestrians must yield to motorists outside of crosswalks.

If you were involved in a pedestrian-related accident, our seasoned legal team at Etengoff Pak Law Group – Vancouver Personal Injury Attorney is ready to help. Contact us today to see what we can do for you.

Receiving the settlement from your personal injury case may take a long time, possibly years. There are many underlying reasons that factor into the length of time that it takes to receive your settlement.  A personal injury settlement attorney can help you understand this settlement in details. Here are some basic facts about settlements from a personal injury attorney in Vancouver, and tips on how you can prepare.

personal injury attorney in Vancouver

Being in an accident can be scary. Not knowing the extent of your injuries can be even scarier. However your personal injury attorney in Vancouver will be by your side to walk you through any questions you may have. Injuries to the spine and your soft tissue can be common during an accident. It may be difficult for you to vocalize exactly where the pain is and describe it to your health care professional or your attorney. Below is a list of frequently asked questions regarding injuries to the spine and soft tissue. Look it over and let your personal injury attorney in Vancouver know if you have any questions.

What is a soft tissue injury?

A soft tissue injury is when any soft tissue in your body sustains damage. A soft tissue is considered to be a muscle, tendon, or ligament.

What is a spinal disc?

A spinal disc is the piece that is situated between the vertebrae of the spine. The spinal disc serves as a shock absorber for the vertebrae.

What is considered to be a bulging disc?

A bulging disc is when the material inside of the core of the disc begins to leak out in a symmetrical fashion.

What is considered to be a herniated disc?

A herniated disc is when the material inside the core of the disc leaks out in a asymmetrical fashion.

What is a facet joint and how is it injured?

Facet joints are the joints in the spine that allow the spinal bones to move freely. If the facet joint is injured, you may experience stiffness, swelling, and the area will be tender.

Does soft tissue damage cause nerve injury?

Yes, it can. Soft Tissue damage can cause swelling which can compress the nerve, causing pain.

Contact a Vancouver Personal Injury Lawyer

Contact your personal injury attorney in Vancouver today. Contact Etengoff Pak Law Group – Vancouver Personal Injury Attorney that will fight for what you deserve! Call (360) 342-9384 .

After waiting for several months or years for your case to go to trial, you may still have a few questions for your Vancouver accident injury lawyer. Here are the frequently asked questions that our Vancouver accident injury lawyer receives from clients after the trial. When Will I be Paid?

If the jury rules in your favor, a Vancouver accident injury lawyer can explain that it typically takes several weeks to finalize the verdict results. This waiting period is so that the final amount can be determined, which your Vancouver accident injury lawyer will explain includes the amount of the verdict, court costs, interest, deductions and legal costs and fees. Additionally, the wait can be longer if the defendant appeals the decision.

What Happens If I Lose?

If you happen to lose your case, your Vancouver accident injury lawyer will converse with you about the possibility of appeal. This process is often timely and expensive. However, your Vancouver personal injury attorney can explain whether this step is best for you or not.

Can I Get a Settlement Even If I Lose?

In many cases, insurance companies do not have an incentive to give you a settlement after they have gone through the expense of litigation. However, in some rare cases, they may be willing to offer a nominal amount to avoid further litigation or having to worry about the decision being reversed down the line.

Before settling and signing away your legal rights, you are best advised to consult an experienced personal injury attorney who has been successful in litigating injury lawsuits.

If you have other questions after your trial, contact a Vancouver personal injury attorney at the Etengoff Pak Law Group – Vancouver Personal Injury Attorney by calling (360) 693-2919